Monday 8 September 2014

Whites, Walnuts and White Chocolate - One Pot Brownies

My partner sometimes works weekends. It is an unspoken rule that you bring a plate with you when you are rostered on a Saturday.

So, as the only way I can contribute to their climb of the career ladder is through sweet morsels, I sent them off to work with a tin of freshly baked brownies.

This recipe uses egg-whites only, which results in a super light, but rich brownie.

I use Callebaut Chocolate, both dark and white, in most of my baking. I have found a great supplier ago now have a big jar in my kitchen that I have to convince myself not to raid all the time.

A tip of using walnuts: I store mine in the freezer. This stops them from going rancid and makes them very easy to chop.

I knew these were a hit when I got a phone call saying that the boss had called my partner into their office. They wanted the recipe and here it is!
170g butter
170g dark chocolate
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsps instant coffee
a decent dash of one of the following: Kahula, Tia Maria, Frangelico or Iced Coffee (I was in a pinch and it worked just fine)
pinch of salt
125g light brown caster sugar
30g cocoa powder
6 egg whites
125g plain flour
150g white chocolate, broken into small pieces
150g walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 180ÂșC.

Melt butter, dark chocolate over a slow stove, stirring to combine.

When completely melted and combined, take off heat. Add coffee, liqueur and salt. Stir and leave to cool.

When mixture has cooled a little add  sugar, cocoa powder and flour and site to combine. Leave to cool further - the mixture should be no more than tepid before adding the egg whites or they may cook. When cool,  add egg whites and combine.

Finally, stir in nuts and chocolate pieces.

Pour mixture into a greased brownie pan.

Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or into an inserted skewer comes out clean.





No comments:

Post a Comment